Adsforblog

Sunday, November 1, 2020

On Flnding Other Writers to Blurb Your Book

 

One of the critical tasks in preparing a new book for publication is finding appropriate writers to blurb your book. I have written on this subject before but this post fine tunes the process.

 

After the new author determines who would be ideal to provide a short written comment, the question is what if I don’t know this person who is expert on my style of writing or my subject matter (or whatever your criteria is for selecting this person)? Assuming you can find a way to reach out to this writer who you don’t know personally, I suggest that your approach might be something like this.

 

Dear X,

 

While I don’t know you personally, I have been following your work for years. Recently Publisher X has selected my full-length poetry manuscript for publication in 2021.

 

Would you consider writing a blurb for my forthcoming book titled X?

 

Enclosed are 12 poems taken from the manuscript that best represent the work as a whole. If you like what you read and want to see more, I would be happy to send the entire manuscript. I need the blurb by X date.

 

Thank you so much for your kind consideration. I will understand if you prefer not to write a blurb for me.

 

All best wishes,

Your name

 


It’s possible that a blurb writer has everything needed to write something based on those 12 poems. The most important part of your request is making sure you have given a reasonable time frame. 3-4 weeks is not an unreasonable ask. If the person queried asks for more  time and you have that option, go for it. Three blurbs are usually enough. Good luck!

 

No comments: